Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Single Again

I’m single again.

And surprisingly, it feels pretty damn good.

The deep longing of my heart is to one day be married. I feel that God designed me for and intends for me to be married. And there are many aspects of dating and relationships that I enjoy. Yet, I have a strong sense that I am exactly where I need to be right now.

I was reading “Let Me Be a Woman,” by Elisabeth Elliot last night, and she wrote in the book, “Let not our longing slay the appetite of our living.” I get frustrated with people who exhort, “Be content in your singleness.” God put a desire on my heart to be married, and I see clear evidence of Him preparing me for a marriage relationship. God wants us to long for what he intends for us and not be merely “content.” But He also wants us to live today. This is the place I am in right now. I long for marriage, but singleness is God’s path for me today, and I will live to the fullest in that.

I have a friend who is involved with Celebrate Recovery, a Christian-based addictions recovery program that is similar to Alcoholics Anonymous. She reminded me yesterday to take life one day at a time. And she is right. I get overwhelmed at times thinking about the future. At times, I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of meeting, dating, and marrying my future husband. But God dispenses His grace one day at a time. He gives me exactly what I need for today. And thankfully, this enables me to rely on Him every single day. So today, I trust that I am where I need to be. Single.

The past few weeks, I had been feeling increasingly unsettled with the guy I was dating. I hate to admit it, but I knew he was not right for me, yet I was reluctant to cut it off because I liked his personality. And I did not really want to be alone. I have a great support network of friends, but I enjoy the particular feeling of companionship in a dating relationship. I like having someone to talk to before going to bed. I like knowing someone is thinking about me during the day.

I have been feeling insecure, as well, the past few weeks, much more so than is usual for me. Like anyone, I have some insecurity, but for the most part I am pretty confident and well-adjusted. Now that the relationship is over, suddenly, my confidence is back. When I opened up to my ex about how I was feeling (while we were still dating), he told me that my insecurities were coming from inside me, he denied any part in it, and his words led me to doubt myself. Now that I am out of the relationship, I see that it wasn’t that anything is wrong with me, he just wasn’t right for me. And perhaps, as well, I was reacting to his emotional unavailability.

In my Bible study group today, we discussed Philippians 1 and the importance of fellowship. One of the benefits of having true friends who love us (more specifically in the context of the passage, Christian friends), is that they desire to see us grow and be happier and healthier. If our true friends give us criticism or negative feedback, we can trust that they are saying it out of love because they truly want the best for us.

One of my weaknesses is that in dating relationships, when the guy gives me negative feedback, I want to believe that he is saying it in a loving way because he truly desires that I be a more Godly and better person. However, I think in reality, a lot of times guys say things to me out of their own insecurities and weaknesses. Perhaps they are projecting some of their own insecurities, but whatever the reason, the negative feedback is not said out of a sincere heart. Unfortunately, I have a hard time discerning when this is the case, and I take their comments seriously, which in the case of this most recent relationship, made me question myself and feel some insecurity.

As my pastor David* said, “Don’t date guys in the gym. They are screwed up.”

No, that’s not the quote I meant, although he said that, as well. He also said, “Don’t fall in love with the icing, which consists of personality and physical attraction. We need the cake, the substance, to fill us up. The icing is delicious, but when we eat only the icing, we will end up with a headache.”

If I am really honest with myself, my most recent ex was icing. And I ended up with a headache.

Now that the sugar crash has cleared, I am looking forward to working on myself and becoming more emotionally and spiritually healthy. I am also excited to have the opportunity to look for a man of substance, a man whose heart belongs to God.

One of the best books I have read is “Emotionally Healthy Spirituality,” by Peter Scazzero. He avers that spiritual and emotional maturity co-occur. (Side note: My recent ex-boyfriend was not at all spiritually mature, hence, he cannot truly be emotionally mature, either. It is not my intent to be critical of him, as he has many great qualities. But I admit that I conveniently overlooked the spiritual issue because I was attracted to him, and I wanted to date him because he was tasty icing. However, I probably should have known better.) In Scazzero’s book, he has one of the most informative charts I have seen that lists the characteristics of an emotionally healthy person. You can view this chart here. Jesus functioned at 100. He was both perfectly confident and perfectly humble.

For now, I will work on my relationship with God first and foremost. I am also seeing a counselor who can help me grow emotionally and psychologically. Beyond that, it is my aim (with God’s help) to put my trust in God when it comes to relationships. I desire to follow His will for me and not to date someone just because he pursues me or seems attractive. I want to look for the substance, the heart, the cake. I wish to fully and intentionally rely on God to provide what I need, particularly in the arena of dating relationships.

While I do wish to be in a relationship that is headed towards marriage, I am not going to go out and specifically seek to date. Rather, I wish to follow God’s direction. For now, at least, I am discarding my old List of qualities and characteristics to look for in mate, and I am going with my friend Emily’s* list, which I have written about previously.

1. He loves God more than he loves me.
2. He supports my ministry by encouraging me and praying for me.
3. He truly understands God’s grace, and is thus able to love the Lord and be forgiving.
4. He fights for me and for our relationship.

Today, I am very thankful for friends who are praying for me and encouraging me. I am thankful for the amazing people that surround me daily. I am thankful for the healing that God has brought into my life. I am thankful that my happiness, joy, peace, and hope comes always and only from Jesus Christ. I thankful that I feel confident in my identity in Christ.

*Names have been changed.

1 comment:

  1. Dear one,

    first of all, I will not be offended in the least if you do not approve and post my messages to you. Feel free NOT to print them if you wish.

    I understand that you have not asked for my opinion or my advice, but I do have some experience in this realm, and we do have more in common that not, you and I.

    You wrote: "One of my weaknesses is that in dating relationships, when the guy gives me negative feedback, I want to believe that he is saying it in a loving way because he truly desires that I be a more Godly and better person."

    If ANY man, desires that you be something MORE, or something BETTER, than what you are at this moment in time, what he means is that you are not good enough for him. He is an arrogant, demeaning, SOB. Run. Run for your life. Because what he means, is that you need him to help fix you. He means that you are broken, and he is the key to fixing you. What he means is that You are incapable of "fixing" yourself. Even God cannot help you. You poor thing, you need HIM. "You need ME. Let ME help you. Let me tear you apart and enumerate your many many faults, so I can help you fix them".

    There is no possible way to take this in a loving way, dear. You are perfect as you are, and if ANY man doesn't think so, he needs to go find somebody else, because you deserve a man who thinks you hung the moon. You deserve a man who believes he is the luckiest man in the universe to be in your presence. You deserve a man who believes you are the best woman he has ever known, just as you are.

    NO MAN, especially in a DATING situation, has the right or obligation, to give you ANY KIND of negative feedback, unless he is breaking up with you. A man who will "give you negative feedback" (translated CRITICIZE) you in a dating situation is an abuser. You need to learn to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

    16 ways to spot an abusive man
    http://ezinearticles.com/?16-Ways-To-Spot-An-Abusive-Man&id=131715


    Nussbaum's List of Red Flags: (note # 14 which applies in your situation)

    1.He pushes too far, too fast, planning your future together right away.
    2.He hates his mother and is nasty to her.
    3.He wants your undivided attention.
    4.He must always be in charge.
    5.He always has to win.
    6.He breaks promises all the time.
    7.He can't take criticism and always justifies his actions.
    8.He blames someone else for anything that goes wrong.
    9.He's jealous of your close friends, family members, and all other men.
    10.He always asks you where you went and whom you saw.
    11.He has extreme highs and lows that are unpredictable.
    12. He has a mean temper.
    13.He often says you don't know what you're talking about.
    14.He makes you feel like you're not good enough.
    15.He withdraws his love or approval as punishment.
    16.He pushes you to do things that make you feel uneasy, like taking the day off from work or even breaking the law.

    Unfortunately, you are looking for a man within a patriarchal order which demeans women, and attracts into it, men who believe in subjugating women. It is full of abusers, disguised as godly men, crouched to subjugate and abuse you in the name of God.

    I was married to a man who loved god more than me. Unfortunately, god didn't want me to go the doctor when I needed to. God didn't think my husband needed to help with the chores or the babysitting, and god always won. It's hard as hell to play second fiddle to THAT.

    I John 4:20 says, if you cannot love your (wife) whom you have seen, how can you love god, whom you have not seen.

    And that is the correct order. Love your wife, who you have to live with, every day, first, and then love god, who you cannot even see.

    ReplyDelete