Sunday, March 28, 2010

Advertising and Masculinity

Does our society really view marriage as emasculating? Dodge apparently thinks so.

I went to the movies last night. I get really annoyed that the movie theater charges me for a ticket and then they proceed to pollute my mental environment with advertisements. Not only did I have to sit through fifteen minutes of ads prior to the twenty minutes of movie previews, I was also handed a print advertisement with my ticket purchase. If the advertisers are going to pay the theater, why should I have to pay them, as well? (This is how television works. Granted, we pay a fee for the television service like cable or satellite, but television shows themselves are paid for by the advertisers, not the viewers.)

One particular pre-preview-pre-movie commercial, apparently originally aired during the Superbowl, which I missed since I do not watch television, caught my attention.

This commercial shows various men’s serious-looking faces, while a narrator states the following:

I will get up and walk the dog at 6:30 am.
I will eat some fruit as part of my breakfast.
I will shave.
I will clean the sink after I shave.
I will be at work by 8 am.
I will sit through 2 hour meetings.
I will say yes when you want me to say yes.
I will be quiet when you don't want to hear me say no.
I will take your call.
I will listen to your opinion of my friends.
I will listen to your friend's opinion of my friends.
I will be civil to your mother.
I will put the seat down.
I will separate the recycling.
I will carry your lip balm.
I will watch your vampire TV shows with you.
I will take my socks off before getting into bed.
I will put my underwear in the basket.
And because I do this...I drive the car I want to drive. Charger.
Man’s last stand.
(The text on the screen at the end reads, “Man’s Last Stand.”)

The Dodge commercial’s implied message is that men silently put up with women’s endless lists of unpleasant demands, and thus must exert their manhood by putting their feet down with their wives in order to drive a masculine car (sure, whether a Dodge Charger is up for debate, but let‘s focus on one thing at a time).

In other words, the commercial implies that men are emasculated in a marriage. Examples of this emasculation are withholding their views (I will be quiet), carrying makeup (lip balm), and, heaven forbid, paying attention to their wives (I will take your call). Men can then regain their masculinity by number one, standing up to their wives (Man’s last stand), and number two, buying a supposedly masculine car.

Incidentally, I do find it a bit strange that many of these statements seem unpleasant, like sitting through meetings, faking nice to friends and in laws, and watching vampire shows (ugh, don’t get me started), and couched in the middle of all these distasteful activities is the statement, “I will take your call.” Since when is taking a call from one’s wife an objectionable activity? That seems sad to me, as I would like to believe that many spouses enjoy each other’s company.

Does our society really believe that marriage is so emasculating that men have to take a final stand against the women they marry? Is marriage so unpleasant that men hate doing things that make their wives’ lives a bit easier? Why get married if women are really so pesky and demanding? Why get married if you will feel like less of a man for contributing to the income and affairs of a household? Is buying a car really going to make anyone any happier or more manly?

No comments:

Post a Comment