Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Am I Fat?

I foolishly stepped on the scale this morning after a hiatus of a month of not weighing myself (was forced to at the doctor’s office last month), and I was so discouraged to see that I had gained more weight than I’m willing to put in writing. Now I remember why I keep defenestrating my scales. Sure, sure, Jesus loves me and all. . . but I think I subconsciously assume that He loves me in spite of my body, and I forget that He made my body just the way it is. I feel like such a hypocrite after all those discussions with my teenage discipleship group about finding our identities in Christ, not in worldly things like a silly (LIFE-ENDING, OMG I AM PANICKING) number on a scale.

Well, this article makes me feel a little better. It shows Faith Hill before and after she was airbrushed for the cover of Redbook.


P.S. de·fen·es·trate (dē-fěn'ĭ-strāt')
tr.v. de·fen·es·trat·ed, de·fen·es·trat·ing, de·fen·es·trates
To throw out of a window.

1 comment:

  1. To speak as the Sphinx ( Mystery Men ), " If you do not define your goals, your goals will define you." I am almost certain that your actual goals are not to weigh any particular weight, but rather to be strong and fit. Your weight has nothing at all to do with that. ( Furthermore, it is somewhat illogical, not to mention self-defeating, for a female to worry about controlling her weight to any minute degree, because of the constantly fluctuating water retention relative to each stage of her menstrual cycle.) You must develop specific strategies that reflect/respond to your true goals. If you are trying to be as muscular and machine-like as possible, then the only thing that matters is body fat percentage( though that is a deadly and insustainable path ). If you are trying to be as strong and fit as possible, but fear bulking up and building, then you need to focus on yoga and push-ups/chin-ups/military dips/roman chair/crunches. These core actions train you with your own weight and demand "cheating", which in bodybuilding terms is the use of multiple muscle groups working together, as opposed to working in forced isolation( as exercise machines are designed to encourage. ) You will need help with these old school activities, because I doubt that alot of people actually know how to do them correctly and/or have a deep knowledge of the implications of subtle shifts in stance and grip.( But keep in mind, that is the beauty of this somewhat mystical path, as avoiding injury is really the only thing that matters in core training, and as it is the easiest training path to avoid injury in, everything else takes care of itself. ) Core training is also a scary path because it is not as easy ( at first, but a daily personal journal in minute detail as possible quickly solves this ) to regiment and measure with push-ups and crunches as it is with free weights and machines. Regardless, the benefits are nothing less than everything you have ever wanted. You will, at last, decisively and utterly defeat ( and thus finally know ) your body so that it may be born anew, and develop naturally to its exact and ultimate genetic potential. You will gradually surrender to that blueprint that is within you, and you will be creating something that you can sustain throughout your life, under any circumstances. You will no longer need a scale or calipers to tell you that you are fit, because you will so radically be what you are. You are a fighter. You should train as one.

    ReplyDelete