Monday, November 23, 2009

What is Love?

What is love? Not the Haddaway version from “Night at the Roxbury.”

Unexpectedly, someone reminded me yesterday what love is. I did not realize that I had lost sight of the true meaning of love. But gradually over time, I had been confused and misled, thinking that love was . . . I do not even know what I had thought. Maybe love had become conditional.

But love is written clearly and concisely in God’s Word in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Even more important than feeling loved by others (or perhaps as a prerequisite) is to love oneself. Of course, God's love is the ultimate precondition. Because of the kindness of a friend, I suddenly realized that I have not loved myself well recently. I have been anything but patient with and kind to myself. I have been keeping record of all my mistakes and feeling angry and frustrated with myself.

I am thankful that God has loved me in so many ways, no matter what my behavior has been toward myself. He is patient and steadfast, always there listening and guiding me. He exhibits His kindness through the loving kindnesses of His people who leave me a simple note of thanks or who make time to listen when I am sad. Christ came to Earth, the son of God, yet He did not seek power, approval, comfort, or control. God does not hold my sins against me.

Love is a friend who can tell me that I make things too complicated, and who reminds me of the Truth.



1 comment:

  1. Amen Nicole! 1 John tells us that "we know love because God first loved us"! Some have called John the Apostle of love and 1 John the book of love. I have learned this year that love is not a feeling but rather the actions of someone on your behalf. With that definition in mind, I cannot doubt God's love for me, even when I don't feel loved or lovable!

    ReplyDelete